Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 5, 2012

Tailgating with the Spirit - Part 4

Over the last few posts, I have tried to draw connections between our country's football culture and one's faith culture.  In Part 1, I compared a football stadium and a church building.  In Part 2, I tried to connect tailgating activities with church ministries, and in Part 3, I looked at the similarities between an active "fanhood" and an active prayer life.  I hope that these connections have enabled all of us to re-examine our priorities this fall season and hopefully re-commit ourselves to things that are much bigger than ourselves (relationships, church activities, school activities, community service, etc.).  As a result of this re-examination, I pray that we are able to recognize that having an unhealthy obsession with our favorite teams and developing a healthy passion for our faith lives and church communities require different levels of attention.  This being said, I'll leave us with a few questions for reflection:

1. Do we take sufficient time each day to recognize that God uses our everyday activities and interests (such as football) to teach us the power of God's remarkable love?

2. Do we make a conscious effort to be mindful of the things in our lives that are truly fruit-bearing?

3. Have we dismissed things or people in our lives that were positive gifts from God because we found ourselves too engulfed in other things?  If so, how can we reconnect with them?

4. Are we willing to re-prioritize our lives in an effort to help ourselves see the beauty of God in all things?

As you reflect on these questions, let me add one more item for thought.  In light of the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, there have been football players and their families housed in hotels, basketball games postponed, and a marathon cancelled.  Regardless of personal opinions on these matters, one thing is consistent: life finds a way to transcend sports.  Does yours?

May we be ever-faithful, ever-mindful, and ever-joyful.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Drew, I just finally logged on to your blog and have read a few of your most recent entries. First, good writing! You must have had some powerful teachers along the way! Plus having a passionate message helps make writing come to life. I really enjoyed the connections you make between "fandom" for organized sports and our faith/prayer/and ministry life. In many ways the Superdome is the secular place of worship! Today, I had a small experience that melded athletics and faith. At the last minute, Mrs. Macaluso asked me if I could drive the lacrosse team members (younger, non-driving ones) to City Park and drop them off for practice. When I went to pick them out by the Ridgley Center, they were burdened with school books, duffel bags, and their everpresent and long sticks! We didn't all quite fit in the bus comfortably, but we made it the 1.5 miles or so without any harm. As they were getting off the bus, many of them thanked me for driving. Such a simple comment for such a simple act. It was a moment of grace for me because, to be honest, I was not very happy about having to do it with such short notice. I try to find these moments of grace and the ways we can show one another love in even the simplest of acts. The boys' "thank yous" were the sign that we had connected for some greater good--in this case, helping them develop their abilities to be who God wants them to be. Keep up the good work!
    Thomas Mavor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful anecdote, Mr. Mavor! I hope others come to see God as you do. Oh, and thanks for contributing to my writing habits!

      peace,
      Drew

      Delete