Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Along Came Pollen

With the dawning of spring comes many wonderful things: warmer weather, beautiful flowers, sunshine, outdoor track and field, baseball, swimming pool fun, and a host of many other pleasant things.  Yet, something else tends to permeate the air this time of year and turn everything an interesting tint of greenish yellow.  Yep, you got it: pollen.  I think the southern United States seems to accumulate more of this colorful dust than other areas. Pollen seems to create more and more frustration for people every year.  As a runner, I know pollen frustrates me as I must go through a transition period of getting acclimated to breathing in this yellow air.  Ugh.  What does this have to do with a blog about sensing the Spirit?  Keep reading.

As we do each year, we will eventually get through this period of allergenic transition, but what are we to do in the meantime?  Look for meaning in it! As I was reflecting this morning, I got to thinking about how the rhythm of the seasons is often reflection of the rhythm of life. If this is the case, then even the most aggravating pollen could shed some meaning on life for me.  Now, from what I know about pollen, it's primary reason for existence is to help begin the life-giving process of plant fertilization.  However, I have a hard time appreciating this life-giving quality when I'm blinded by yellow dust, driving in a yellow car that is supposed to be silver, and sneezing so much that I lose my voice (slight exaggeration, but you get it).  In trying to set this frustration aside, I thought about the natural purpose of pollen and began contemplating my natural purpose.  As a result, I asked myself two questions. Do I live my life in a manner that is life-giving to others? Or, do I live my life in a manner that blinds others, covers up their true colors, or gives them "allergic" reactions to my presence making them want to avoid me?  Either way, I've realized that I have a gift to give others.  This gift can either be one of healing or one of sickening.

Questions for reflection:
1.  What kind of pollen are you in the lives of others?
2.  Are you able to recognize that even some of the smallest particles in nature can teach you some of the biggest lessons in life?  If not, how can you begin let this happen?

May we be ever-faithful, ever-mindful, and ever-joyful.

1 comment:

  1. Drew, I had just finished reading the article I'll share with you below, and then came to your page. I had to smile! -- Kirin. http://2catholicmen.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-flowering-of-evangelization.html

    ReplyDelete