Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Spirit

In light or dark (insert shameless blackout joke) of the Super Bowl this weekend, I've chosen to focus this post on where I've recognized the Spirit acting through our mainstream media this past week.  Starting with the Super Bowl, I'd first like to encourage you to go back and read my "Tailgating with the Spirit" series regarding football season.  One of the biggest questions that I have after a big event like the Super Bowl is whether or not we really care about football or if we ultimately care more about the opportunity come together and celebrate with one another?  I tend to believe the latter.  We are a communal people, so the Super Bowl is simply another excuse to unify diverse groups of people.  Events like this happen often enough to continue to remind us of our need to be in community with one another to share in each other's joy and excitement.  After all, the same thing happens at each Super Bowl: one team wins and one team loses. However, though we may never remember the outcomes of these games (unless your team happens to be playing, of course), I bet that we remember the people and the conversations that were present at the time making that game watching experience much more special.

Now, as I digest much of the commentary and analysis of the big game this weekend, I keep hearing a lot about the leaders and motivators in these games.  The biggest name that everyone is talking about is Ray Lewis from the Baltimore Ravens.  Through ESPN, Facebook, and Twitter, I seem to notice that for every person who was pulling for Ray Lewis there was at least one person pulling against him (vehemently, I might add) because of his criminal history from twelve years ago.  Here is my take.  As a Christian, I firmly believe in God's love, forgiveness, and mercy.  I also believe that God freely gives these things to every single human being.  God's love and forgiveness applies just as much to murderers and people who cheat on their taxes as it does for little kids telling fibs to get themselves out of trouble with their parents.  Whether or not a man like Ray Lewis committed an evil act some years ago,  his actions since have shown us that people are able to have deep conversions of heart.  The faith in God that he seemingly has developed over his career in the NFL has only helped motivate and encourage the other men with whom he has shared the football field.  When I hear him speak now, I hear a man who seems very focused on giving credit to God and his teammates before ever commending himself.  I do not think we can ignore this.  So, before we turn up our noses in disgust (dare I say, in judgement) of another person, let us remember that the Spirit moves where it will and is capable of leading and motivating even the least likely of people to do great things for the Kingdom of God.

This past week, the cyber world graced us with a spectacular example of such motivation and encouragement that comes from the Spirit.  This example is the pep talk by the inspiring boy known to us as Kid President.  If you have not seen this video or even if you have already, please watch it keeping in mind the simple message Kid President shares with us: We are all on the same team, so let us make the world awesome!  Enjoy.

Kid President's Pep Talk

May we be ever-faithful, ever-mindful, and ever-joyful.


No comments:

Post a Comment